Stratton-Instone Limited formed in 1921 (1)
Stratton and Instone went into partnership and assumed control
of the Daimler Company's London premises heralding the arrival of
the motor distribution system as we know it today.
Joseph Mackle assumes control in 1929 (2)
When our founders passed away Joseph Mackle, a former engineer
with Daimler, took control and renamed the company Stratstone
Business booms in Stratstone style (3)
Business surged following the launch of the Light 15 Daimlers.
Stratstone extended its operations in England and Stratstone style
became very much what it is today.
Number 27 Pall Mall, London became a popular rendezvous for the
growing list of wealthy and famous customers, particularly as a
butler served champagne at a given time each morning.
The Stratstone Royal Connection (4)
The Royal Warrant, first gained in 1921 was held by Stratstone
until a change of ownership in 1982.
In the thirties' slump in England the government considered that
national interest in cars might be stimulated if the King had a new
fleet. Stratstone was commissioned to supply six new limousines to
King George V. (5)
1940's, 1950's, 1960's
Stratstone acquired by the Thomas Tilling Group in
Following its acquisition and with war becoming likely, the
leases on the Pall Mall and Euston Road Premises were not renewed
and the head office was relocated to Berkeley Street.
Stratstone change of venue during the war
During the war the Berkeley Street showroom was requisitioned by
the Royal Air Force. As no cars were being manufactured, there was
urgent demand for large cars that could be converted to ambulances.
The company undertook these conversions, while smaller cars were
sold to the police.
Stratstone expand in 1971
Stratstone expanded taking over a London service depot at
Willsden, providing a specialist service north of the river.
James Smillie takes the helm
Throughout the 1970s rapidly rising inflation in England took
its toll and tough measures had to be taken to cope with its effect
on Stratstone.A fleet sales department was set up in 1973 to supply
limousines to top companies, embassies and foreign governments
together with the special requests of the funeral profession.
James Smillie the Managing Director successfully acquired the
equity and in 1982 Stratstone Limited became a private company
after a break of 46 years.
Stratstone sets the standard
1988 saw the largest and most advanced service centre in Britain
open at Grays Inn Road, London WC I .There were 24 work bays
covering an area of 279 square metres and occupying two floors,
with a retail and trade counter. Stratstone commenced work to
completely refurbish the Berkeley Street showroom. The decor
reflected the elegance of bygone days and at the same time
complemented the image of the high quality modern products it
represented; this Stratstone style has been an aspect of the brand
that has been maintained to this day.
Stratstone has national coverage
In 1992 Stratstone grew through acquisition to become the
largest luxury retailer in the UK.
The Stratstone brand sits proudly along side over 20 of the
world's premium automotive manufacturers. Stratstone delivers
fantastic products and outstanding service in our unique Stratstone
style showroom environments.
Stratstone has national coverage and this scale affords the
group great opportunities to share its best practice and expertise
of the luxury and specialist car markets and offer the Stratstone